Preference study of a new product line
„Soproni’s Peep-N-See House™”
supporting the testing of the eyesight of young children.
Anna Soproni1, Magdolna Fodor2, Andrea Szigeti2
1Private doctor's office
2Semmelweis University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology
• Presentation of a new protected product line (Soproni’s Peep-n-See House ™) for the early visual examinations of young children. (Accessories: a mask as an occluder, a device replacing the trial frame, test goggles, a home kit for visual testing)
• To report on a patient preference with my occluder
• Difficulties during the eye examination
of small children:
– They are afraid and are anxiuos in a strange, unknown milieu
– They are afraid of the medical devices, especially of those which cover their eyes
• I designed devices which I assume to make children more inclined to take a vision test, as their design causes less distress, than that of the traditional ones during completing a VA examination.
• For this reason we tested which of the devices children prefer.
Materials and Methods
The disposable mask as an occluder for examination of visual acuity (VA)
Advantages of the mask: (Sometimes you don’t need to hold it at all.)
1. It creates a playful situation that turns the tests into a game, thus motivating children to undergo the procedure.
2. can cover the eye properly
3. may be used as promotion material for sponsoring firms that adopt our early screening test programs.
of VA in latent nystagmus
|The disposable mask as
a present to the child
after the examination.
It may be a substitute for the paching test for the estimation of the ductions, during the examination of the fixation preference or the fixation pattern.
After one month of alternating pathing the
diagnosis is: bilateral pseudoparesis of the LR OU
The kit with disposable mask and optotyp cards to the parents for home visual control. It may prepare the young patients for examinations in the office.
Mask as a trial frame with one window to control the monocular correction.
The trial lenses are fixed – in the front and in the back – by adhesive rubber rings*
* Trusetal Verbandst. I have no financial interst in it
Mask as a trial frame with two windows
with refractions (in the
cases of latent nystagmus
The weight of the device
Mask with fix lenses
With one window
2. in strabismus cases:
With two windows: +3,0D or -3,0D
1. During refractional examination: to reduce the accomodation
2. To examine the relation of the accomodation/convergence
* I have no financial interst in it
The devices with filters, Bagolini lenses etc.
Tools and methods
• During VA examinations children with proper age may take their own decision
– preference of two groups of new patients for selection of the covering methods was investigated
– by changing the order of the questions (sheet of paper or mask vs. mask or sheet of paper)
– The hypothesis was that children will prefer the mask independently of the order of the question
1. Mask or sheet of paper?
33 patients, average 4,7 yo (2,5-8), boys/girls=21/12
Answer: Mask/sheet of paper = 27 / 6 (2 boys, 4 girls,
average: 5,3 yo) 81,2% chose the mask
2. Sheet of paper or mask?
33 patients, average 5,4 yo (3-11), boys/girls=17/16
Answer: Mask/sheet of paper = 25 / 8 (7 boys, 1 girls,
average: 4,5 yo) 75,8% chose the mask
A majority of the both groups chose the mask. Their preference seems independent of the order of the questions.
• If we can verify the good vision of the child in a subjective way during the screening (by visus and binocular eye exams), some other methods (cycloplegia, fixation etc.) causing eventual reluctance in the child or the parents may be avoided.
• Knowing the concrete visual value, parents could be convinenced easier of the necessitiy of treatment
• We assume, that the method of completing the VA examination will influence its success
• We examined the „reception” of the occluder as a part of the Peep-n-See House product line. It has been found that a majority of the children chose the mask instead of the traditional method for VA examination
• We assume that using the „child friendly” mask instead of the traditional covering method the subjective visual testing may be more successful and will cause less distress to the child. We shall perform further examinations later to clarify this and to find out whether the duration of the VA examination will be reduced.
The Peep-N-See House is protected as an ophthalmic device by the Community Design Law in the European Community for twenty-five years (Community Design No: 001094437-0001/0002), and a design patent application arising from that application has also been filed in the United States. Since the device may have alternative shapes rather than a house and it may also have different technical features a utility patent application was filed as well, being extended continuously to above and other countries of the world. Therefore, copying, selling or using this and similar devices is a subject to my consent.
The US design patent is about to be granted in the near future. (pending patent number: US 29/311,983, filed on 08/12/2009 and having a European Community design priority as of 02/13/2009)